Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince (2 Viewers)

Professor frink

HSC
And like somebody already mentioned, the burrow scene was pointless and didn't even happen, i do not understand what would possess them to just add that rather than include the dramatic fight scene that really does happen at the end of the book at Hogwarts, i was looking forward to that, but rather we watched half a movie of Draco putting things through the vanishing cabinet, so the death eaters can get into Hogwarts only to do nothing more than stand and watch, they played no significant part, and was a little frustrating.

I think because that's how Deathly Hallows end's in a similar fight so they didn't want to finish two films with the same type of fight at Hogwarts which is a shame as the Burrow scene was an insult to the book's. Personally, I’ve read HBP 15+ times (I know) and the only real similarity between film and book is the name. Sadly the film cannot go into any depth due to its length and the fact that it would take ages explaining some things e.g. memories of the Gaunt’s and after about 15min in it goes off on a complete tangent to the book in terms of character development, story and themes.

Really hated this as some of the scenes made no sense e.g. Why would Draco wait until he did to let the Death Eaters in as the Vanishing cabinet had been working fine for ages? The fact that Dumbledore appeared inside the castle under the lame excuse of "there's a lot of advantages of being me" (or something similar) was a joke whilst there were so many simple details that they could have kept the same (at no cost or time increase) yet chose to change them e.g. using some sort of scooper instead of a goblet in the lake scene or changing simple words like 'murderer' to 'assassin'....Why change it?

The fact that Harry could have easily stopped Draco at the end and that he let Snape go straight by him was not needed and confusing. Easily the biggest and worst change was the fact that the world Horcruxes was not heard in the memory with Slughorn. The love triangle with Ron just pissed me off and the whole Harry/Ginny 'thing' made no sense and seriously WTF was up with all the students and teachers pointing their wands up in the air after Dumbledore died?

Nevertheless, people who have not read the book should like it but for the die-hard fans, like me, you really have to block out everything you know about HP to really enjoy it.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Mixed reviews it seems, how could they leave out the Horcruxes though :eek:
Seems like they are going try and keep the whole Horcrux search fresh for the final two movies.

Professor frink

HSC
Mixed reviews it seems, how could they leave out the Horcruxes though :eek:
Seems like they are going try and keep the whole Horcrux search fresh for the final two movies.
Nahh they didn't leave it out of the film but rather the initial memory did not mention it so Harry had to find out what Slughorn and Riddle were talking bout rather then ask Slughorn "What do you know about Horcruxes?". Over complicated something very simple.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
saw at IMAX.the large screen and 3D for opening 15 mins made it worthwhile. otherwise, it was rather lame and not at all a true representation of the book. the way they added unnecessary section was ridiculous.

entertaining though

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
This was the the most highest acclaimed Harry Potter movie so far. Is it really that goood? It got goood reviews.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I liked it. Probably because I went in expecting another crap Harry Potter movie like it's predecessors.. But it was actually pretty good.

I still don't get why people want it to follow the book exactly, do you really want a 5 hour movie? Someone's always going to be disappointed when a book gets adapted. I for one think they did pretty well.

P.S. Is Emma Watson getting hotter or what?

Stephie-Rae

HSC
I still don't get why people want it to follow the book exactly, do you really want a 5 hour movie? Someone's always going to be disappointed when a book gets adapted. I for one think they did pretty well.
I'm well aware they cannot follow the book exactly, and i know that parts have to be cut out in order to keep the movie a reasonable length, and i have no issue with that, the issue i have is that they cut out important aspects of the book that related to the horcruxes and voldemort's past etc, which should of been the main focus, and replaced it with drawn out irrelevant scenes about things like Ron's little love triangle, which could have still be included in about a quarter of the time. If you replaced all of those times with memories and such, and replaced the added burrow attack with the fight at Hogwarts which actually happened in the book, i think it would of been brilliant. It was a lot funnier than the others, the acting was brilliant and it was put together really well, they just lost the feeling of the book, and the entire series for that matter.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
You would have to assume the next movie will not be as interesting as this one, as it is purely transitional. I am assuming they end it at the point where Ron leaves Harry and Hermoine, setting up the Battle of Hogwarts in the last movie.

yer8899

HSC
was so much jailbait in the cinema. my dick was like woah. pretty shite movie tbh, some fags started crying when dumbledore carked it.

HSC
I'm well aware they cannot follow the book exactly, and i know that parts have to be cut out in order to keep the movie a reasonable length, and i have no issue with that, the issue i have is that they cut out important aspects of the book and replaced it
this is exactly what i think in a nutshell.

my friends dragged me to see it again today, until my second viewing i didn't even realise how much ron/lavendar crap there was. something that took up about three pages max (if you strung it all together) in the book derailed the entire movie by taking up so much screentime. it's not that the scenes they put in were done badly, it's just that it would make the events of the next films a lot more coherent if they cut the fat and explained what needs to be explained instead.

ZaraKu

HSC
I admit it, I shed a tear when Dumbledore died, wasn't as dramatic as I expected. Would've liked to see the Gaunt memory as well as the end battle but can't have everything you want. Overall very well done (much better than GoF and OotP) and I can't wait to November next year!!

P.S To the bogan bitch who was sitting in the front at Newcastle GU last night, quit your complaining, it was a funny part, yoy're supposed to laugh you dumb fuck, not sit there in silence

lealea

HSC
mm...i agree with Stephie-Ray...they missed out many extremely importent aspects in the book which contribute greatly to the plot ....instead they focused waaayy too much on relationships between the characters..and a few added scenes where they could have put more interesting clues or memories that would have enhanced the plot rather than the focus of the love triangle...ick....it was ok...but it could have been so much better...
...though having said those negative things i have to say the cinematography, special effects and music were bloody brilliant!! *claps to that*

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Fuck plot, where the hell did that last fight scene go? I want my $11 back.
omg i know, hardly any action. Too much low budget love-triangle scenes. Dumbledores death was also quite lame.

p.s did u all jump when those zombies grabbed harry's hand in the water? Everyone in the cinema did for me :)

HSC
p.s did u all jump when those zombies grabbed harry's hand in the water? Everyone in the cinema did for me :)
in our theatre some girl at the front screamed and pretty much everyone in the cinema cracked up laughing, priceless

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Wikipedia said:
Heyman commented that the end battle was removed to "(avoid) repetition" with the forthcoming adaptation of Deathly Hallows. As such, the Death Eaters proceed through Hogwarts without any resistance with a crazed Bellatrix ravaging the Great Hall and setting fire to Hagrid's hut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)