HSC students' maths paper 'cruel and difficult' (SMH) (1 Viewer)

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Re: Lol people from bos mentioned in smh article

maybe its just me but I still reckon this is being blown out of proportions. Yes it was harder than most years, but still quite 'doable'.

That being said, I did screw up as well.
*cries*

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
In general, for most students, timing has always been an issue with the Ext 1 paper I believe. So it shouldn't really come to a surprise.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Ah lol. They mentioned me. I hope my family don't read it.
Your comment is now gone from the article. Did you ask them to remove it?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
anyone got tricked on Q1 (f)? the range of ln(x^2 + e)? lolz at first i put y = real, then i looked at it, i was like, wth, why did I put y = real? changed it to y>=1 =D
wasn't the question f(x)=ln(x^2 +e)? Which means the range would be shown in terms of f(x) not y. Unless you wrote "let y = f(x)"

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
wasn't the question f(x)=ln(x^2 +e)? Which means the range would be shown in terms of f(x) not y. Unless you wrote "let y = f(x)"
It doesn't really matter... It's just a variable name...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

They're watching us :spzz:

Do they need to ask permission to take content from the site?
I would also like the answer to this - can they use my posts without prior permission?
This is a good lesson for Generation Y [including me]. Anything posted online is public domain. Everything posted on FB is public domain. Even Twitter accounts with tweets locked - still public domain.

jniranjan

HSC

Your comment is now gone from the article. Did you ask them to remove it?
I actually told them to just change my name to 'Josh' or 'Another user' but it seems like they just removed it. I should never had made my username the initial of my first name, then my last name lol

HSC
N/A

This is a good lesson for Generation Y [including me]. Anything posted online is public domain. Everything posted on FB is public domain. ...
Not actually true...just try publishing a compilation of articles from the smh website and see how long it takes the lawyers to bang on your door. And if you check FB, you'll find that it specifically says that you retain copyright. HOWEVER: the legalities (which are REALLY complicated) don't really matter...if you post anything on the internet, your hopes of controlling what happens to it are zilch.

Mixalli

HSC

Honestly though, talk about spinning quotes in order to suit an argument and get media attention. The test really wasn't anything too demanding... yeah it was SLIGHTLY more difficult that other tests, but "students who have worked hard at this difficult course will leave their 13 years of school mathematics with a feeling of failure" really? If anyone had actually studied the course requirements adequately and had a higher than average ability at maths (as should be the case with most people sitting this exam due to the fact that it is EXTENSION math after all) then the test was more than doable. Yeah it would be extremely difficult to get 100% but thats fitting, a test that everyone gets 100% in doesn't really distinguish better students from less-able (which is what the BOS is aiming to achieve). In my opinion this argument of the exam being too hard for everyone but geniuses is just a scape-goat used by student's who were too lazy to study one particular area (such as binomial identities), and who then cry THAT IS TOO HARD FOR ME HOW CRUEL! Obviously its going to be too hard if you haven't prepared for it.

HSC
Uni Grad

So funny that they quoted of BOS members.

Better start working on that wedding dressss.
It would be awkward when someone read it and thought it was the actual Tae Yang haha.
LOL! it actually says 'taeyang posted..." hahahah, makes it sound like the actual kpop idol did 3unit maths this year ^^
Imagine if the real Taeyang actually read this? :p
That'll be pretty hilarious

jamesfirst

HSC
This article is sooooooooooooo funny that I kept cracking up yesterday

HSC
you know the SMH is desperate when they're getting quotes of a student forum! hahahahaha

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
you know the SMH is desperate when they're getting quotes of a student forum! hahahahaha
People have been quoted from here pretty much from the start of the site and by most media organisations. Shots of posts have even been used in TV News reports on the HSC.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly though, talk about spinning quotes in order to suit an argument and get media attention. The test really wasn't anything too demanding... yeah it was SLIGHTLY more difficult that other tests, but "students who have worked hard at this difficult course will leave their 13 years of school mathematics with a feeling of failure" really? If anyone had actually studied the course requirements adequately and had a higher than average ability at maths (as should be the case with most people sitting this exam due to the fact that it is EXTENSION math after all) then the test was more than doable. Yeah it would be extremely difficult to get 100% but thats fitting, a test that everyone gets 100% in doesn't really distinguish better students from less-able (which is what the BOS is aiming to achieve). In my opinion this argument of the exam being too hard for everyone but geniuses is just a scape-goat used by student's who were too lazy to study one particular area (such as binomial identities), and who then cry THAT IS TOO HARD FOR ME HOW CRUEL! Obviously its going to be too hard if you haven't prepared for it.
Q5 was a lot harder than usual. I usually get 12/12 for Q5 and I'd be lucky to get 8/12 this year.

People have been quoted from here pretty much from the start of the site and by most media organisations. Shots of posts have even been used in TV News reports on the HSC.
Thank fuck I swear profoundly in all my posts then.

taeyang

HSC
Q5 was a lot harder than usual. I usually get 12/12 for Q5 and I'd be lucky to get 8/12 this year.

Thank fuck I swear profoundly in all my posts then.
They quoted me and my post was riddled with profanity.

HELLKAISER

HSC
dude the paper was actually seriously hard, i was going wtf the whole time in question 5, they need to fix this situation cause its honestly disadvantaged to the kids who dont come from selective schools

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
dude the paper was actually seriously hard, i was going wtf the whole time in question 5, they need to fix this situation cause its honestly disadvantaged to the kids who dont come from selective schools
It doesn't really advantage selective school except perhaps the very top 10. I go to a school that's ranked around ~30 and most people found it to be a rather hard exam.

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
It doesn't really advantage selective school except perhaps the very top 10. I go to a school that's ranked around ~30 and most people found it to be a rather hard exam.
This. Most people at my school found it fairly difficult as well. Including some of the Extension 2 students (though they do have higher expectations of themselves...skipping 1 question = hard exam).

Also whats with all the hate to Q5....imo Q4 was harder than 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)