I need a job. (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
ITT: people who will never get employed.

ok get a job anywhere, maccas pays $1 extra per hour then big w for casuals (look at the EBA's if you dont believe me)
apply a shitload and look any many different channels, local newspapers are a good start aswell
-experience is the key for getting a job, jobs arent hard, i can easily get 3 jobs, why cant you? (and i only started working after the HSC,)
-tweak your resume to the job you apply for very important, look to answer few questions in advert
-tbh you all should have applied around stemempher or august for xmas casuals
-without TFN you can still get a job you just get taxed at 45%, and once you have TFN they will give the money back. NEVER write TFN on resume. but do not worry if you dont have TFN.
-have been employed thank you very much. - Both paid and unpaid employment.
-Do you know how long it will take to tweak each resume to each store?? I applied everywhere, that would take heaps long to edit each one and print. (I only tweak for big companies- or drastically different job objectivities) (Most llikely to be thrown out, due to applying at the wrong time).
-September - I was soo busy and pressured for my trials study

One of the dropouts from my grade goes around with his lawnmower + trimmer and goes around mowing people's lawns for $30. He gets around 6-7 lawns per day, everyday. All cash and a lot of potential customers. Especially in this weather.
-Shit he was making more than me :( I made $40 per day - $10 per hour

would year 10 work experience at myer make you more worthy of the job in myer? (I did menswear in year 10 btw)
Yes, most likely.

My 4 job interviews.
Zone3- played charades (deadly serious) Got nowhere.
Optus Cadetship in Telecommunications, passed all interviews, held back due to poor maths.
General Hand at french polishing company- lift up a 5KG block of wood, passed
Inghams- Passed physio, get good payin job.
Dam sorry mate, I applied for that Optus Cadetship but turned it down after the lady said this program cannot coincide with university studies. They said they required a science, LOL I made it in without a science. :D

hahaha gosh I have had so many jobs

umm let me try and think

kebab shop
subway
waitress
cosmetics assistant
retail in surf/skate shop
retail in giftwear/homme department
retail in designer menswear
Admissions and Enrolment student admin
Secretary for Graduations
singing teacher
choir conducter
retail assistant at bondi david jones childrenswear department
retail assistant at bondi david jones shoes and accessories department
freelance graphic design work
Singing at a french restaurant
assistant for UNSW Co-operative Scholarship Sponsor Steering Committee
more design work

plus I've been offered about 20+ admin jobs but turned them down due not being able to do full time.
You must be some super hot chick or something.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: i fink that businesses are being really sexist and not hiring male workers.
Yes true, I'm starting to feel this suspicion as well.

-PS: Fuck I hate the retail industry already and I haven't even worked in it. They are so rude and don't even reply via email to make sure they received your resume. (some companies) - I'm so not a business guy.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
do maths tutoring
easy money, easy work
only issue is summer holidays, no source of income for ~2 months while schools out
There's always the next year's worth of HSC students. There's always kids that need to be tutored. :p

apollo1

Banned
HSC
Maybe most employers have found as a generalization most female workers are more reliable and time efficient.
oh noes. ivory is becoming sexist also. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: as a male i dont feel safe anymore.

twistedrebel

HSC
the euro was always going to fail, i remember having a chat about this with my economics teacher in year 12 on how the euro cant last. We both agreed it was destined to fail, little did we know it would happen in a few months.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
the euro was always going to fail, i remember having a chat about this with my economics teacher in year 12 on how money based off nothing cant last. We both agreed it was destined to fail, little did we know it would happen in a few months.
fixed

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
LOl I saw an ad in the paper for "A receptionist / office all rounder" ...Is this a female's job..because I've NEVER seen a guy as receptionist. I guess it would be totally awkward. I have a mate, he's work exp wanted to keep him for a full time ICT help desk support operator answering calls over the phone etc, but he had his HSC so he had to decline.

And my coca cola offered summer jobs last year..I applied but was unsuccessful LOL quite ironic right? I was doing I.T work exp with them in their I.T department at north Sydney and they still wouldn't give me a basic "load shelfs with coke bottles" - But the company hiring was a third party company so it wasn't handled by coca cola amatil - which is the company I took work exp with. but still I thought that me taking work exp at the time would lead me to an advantage..guess not :(

Fuck I wasted 4 years of working...still can't get a damn job..dam I'll prob be like the OP trying to find jobs in 1st yr uni. :( OP have you ever applied for jobs before HSC and post HSC? if so how many?
I have a name you know <_<

And no, I haven't. This is why I'm making the thread.

By all means put school awards, just not ones that you got in year 7 for writing a nice story about a cat.
Hmm, I suppose I could have the competitive edge. I can put quite a lot of academic awards and this shiny "House Citizenship" award I got... I think that'll push me over the line. That, and being House Vice Captain... right?

m8s how many of you guys are fit and have knowledge of cricketting law (i.e. watch it all summer) become a cricket umpire, decent money and easy job.
LBW's get me a bit confused but I get the general gist of the rules. But where do I apply?

Maybe most employers have found as a generalization most female workers are more reliable and time efficient.
Oh that's what they're calling it now. "Reliable and time efficient". More like: attractive and thus will draw business to the store...

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
LBW's get me a bit confused but I get the general gist of the rules. But where do I apply?
You'll have to start off with very minor leagues (little kids). Normally some of them require you to attend one coaching/umpiring session if it's your first ever time. Some, let you start off straight away. Just research a bit and be prepared. If you don't know something, ask the other minor-league umpires there. Look for some cricket clubs near your suburb. If not, look out for the competitions/tournaments. All you do is ring them up and tell them you're willing to umpire for some cash.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
just ask your local association
I don't... well, I'll see.

You'll have to start off with very minor leagues (little kids). Normally some of them require you to attend one coaching/umpiring session if it's your first ever time. Some, let you start off straight away. Just research a bit and be prepared. If you don't know something, ask the other minor-league umpires there. Look for some cricket clubs near your suburb. If not, look out for the competitions/tournaments. All you do is ring them up and tell them you're willing to umpire for some cash.
I know like... 99% of the rules, it's just that the LBW ones are sometimes a bit confusing. The way I understand it is - if the ball pitches in line with the stumps and hits the batsman and would have gone on to hit the wicket, they're out LBW. Now, if the ball does not pitch in line with the stumps and the batsman does not make a serious attempt at a shot and would've gone on to hit the wicket - then they are out.

Now it's all great in theory but I've never umpired before (except a few 'mock' times in like indoor cricket for fun) - and plus I don't know all the hand signals like signalling byes and the like. But I suppose I can figure those out.

Do you think umpiring cricket is... good work?

--

Also, was searching around for jobs - I found that first year uni maths lecturers get paid $75k a year. Pretty good, I suppose. But it requires a PhD or higher... not sure what's higher than a PhD in a degree level sense..

Corvid

HSC
N/A
Hey, I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But now... now I'm washing lettuce. Soon I'll be on fries; then the grill. And pretty soon, I'll make assistant manager, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, was searching around for jobs - I found that first year uni maths lecturers get paid $75k a year. Pretty good, I suppose. But it requires a PhD or higher... not sure what's higher than a PhD in a degree level sense..
There are a lot of lecturers without a phd.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
I know like... 99% of the rules, it's just that the LBW ones are sometimes a bit confusing. The way I understand it is - if the ball pitches in line with the stumps and hits the batsman and would have gone on to hit the wicket, they're out LBW. Now, if the ball does not pitch in line with the stumps and the batsman does not make a serious attempt at a shot and would've gone on to hit the wicket - then they are out.

Now it's all great in theory but I've never umpired before (except a few 'mock' times in like indoor cricket for fun) - and plus I don't know all the hand signals like signalling byes and the like. But I suppose I can figure those out.

Do you think umpiring cricket is... good work?
That's true, but, I think in general the first rule that is : if it's not in line with the stumps, then it's not out, precedes.. Of course there are exceptional cases irl, in case of warney, kumble, Ashley Giles, etc.

Hand signals should be the least of your worries haha. Simple as fuck.

Uhm, wouldn't necessary say "good work", but, it's a fun way to kill time and get cash while you're doing it. Plus, on your resume it will look good as you've engaged in a social communal activity whilst also working in a team (you COULD say you're managing them, up to you :p).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)