Reasons for compulsory english (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
i said it was ASSUMED doesnt mean i know it, thats my whole friggen point they expevt u to annalyse and write an essay and be fantastic, instead of teaching structuure. i don't fail, im probs heading for an 85 or something but i dont need this subject!!!
I just noticed that you're like the first female to start one of those 'I hate English' threads. Usually, it's the girls who ace English.

beve

Jesus
HSC
oh god, I swear I've seen the same thread 100 times, and every time English gets bashed.

-.-

HSC
i h8 english aswell but the only gay reason that its compulsory is because we live in a english spoken country.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well,
maybe it helps for calculating UAI and marks and stuff since everyone has to do it lol, maybe.

untitled....

HSC
The thing about english is that it reqires deeper thinking.
The information is not there in front of you and in most cases you actually discover things about the world.
Seriously.
Take history and memory as an example; amazing! The memory part involves delving into the psychology of the human mind and the history part gets you thinking about something you have probably always taken for granted.

And oh yeah, belonging. Believe it or not it is useful. In a way, the world revolves around belonging! We want to earn money to live the lifestyles of the rich and famous; to belong to a specific class. We dress a certain way to belong, or not. We say and act... you get the point.

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC
Um. Mathematics is not logical. Well, it is logical at its very core, at its heart, yes of course mathematics is logical. But oh, it can be SO much more.

Mathematics is the oldest (human) art form. It has survived the ages, dating back to the days of the ancient Egyptians (and the ancient Greeks, let's not forget Pythagoras!). :)

Mathematics, as an organic whole, is a creative, interesting subject that has been cherished throughout the ages for what it is: a series of mental, and sometimes physical, processes used to come to a solution. And it is NOT the solution that is mathematically important, more important is HOW YOU GOT THERE, what process you used to reach your neat conclusion.

Sorry, I have had a little rant just now. Sorry. I am just sick to death of students of mathematics who do not even realize what true mathematics is about: a journey, an imaginative, or physical journey of the mind and body to solve problems, to achieve advanced in technology and to reach common human goals! Mathematics is, and always will be, close to my heart. If only more high school mathematics teachers were as good as mine (Mrs Dianne Lowery). She understands what maths truly IS, what it always has being about (PROCESSES, not results!) and she fosters in the more gifted and interested students, a deep appreciation of, and a healthy respect for Trigonometry, data analysis, number theory, consumer arithmetic, CALCULUS (fascinating!)...

Have a good night.
James
someone tell this guy to fuck off

studentcheese

HSC
Um. Mathematics is not logical.
This, I do not agree. Geometry, for example, places heavy emphasis on logic and reasoning to reach a conclusion.

Mathematics is the oldest (human) art form. It has survived the ages, dating back to the days of the ancient Egyptians (and the ancient Greeks, let's not forget Pythagoras!). :)
I agree that Maths in Junior Years can be much more. However, the current Mathematics Extension 1 course is much more than just memorising a formula and applying it. My Maths teacher makes us learn the derivation of a formula before we memorise it.

And it is NOT the solution that is mathematically important, more important is HOW YOU GOT THERE, what process you used to reach your neat conclusion.
Yes, and that is why we show our working out in Math exams.

HSC
why cant you all just get over it??
you HAVE to do it so STOP complaining!! its simple!!!

shaon0

HSC
i will always argue the point it is a waste of time witht his syllabus unless someone gives me one hell of a good reason

SO WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO ENGLISH!
I don't know. English is the worst subject ever and not useful.

Rainie

HSC
Because it's Australia, where the given language is English =/

spence

HSC
I am never going to be analysing the poetic techniques when i move forward into a job after school - it is really a stupid system.
This argument gets brought into every one of these threads (there are about 1000 of them). And guess what? No-one cares! It's not a vocational course, and it's not designed to be one, it's about teaching and developing other skills, and if you do want vocational education, go to Tafe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)