The Ashes (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
xrtzx said:
not really the pommies, but flintoff, he is an excellent baller to lefties.
We have to keep clarkey and kato in the team, we need to drop hayden and bring in hussey, not hodge becuz he cant open. But if clarke is out hodge will have to come in too.

also agree punter led from the front, wat a captian's knock, i hope the other batsmen can learn from his knock.. BE PATIENT
I totally agree!

But with the swing thing, batting out of your crease is a very good tactic, i do it all the time (although i am an opener) and it really helps cause the bowler must change his length and also his line (im a lefty). and then for some balls go back and accross to keep the bowler guessing.

And why isnt Hussey being picked for australia?? Hayden has to get dropped, it is his time. What about Chris Rogers, do u think he will get a go in the Aussie side? he is 27 i think, bit old, but i guess we need some younger players to come up. Hodge will get his turn soon enough but im really worried about Australia's future cause its not looking great after the likes of Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne, Kaspa, Martyn, Ponting (although only 31), etc...

I think we may have to do what the pakistanis did, just get rid of all the olies for some minor games and throw in a new team and let them develop although it is risky and very unlikely to happen cause the selection is very conservative.

Doesnt matter, next test should look good.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
LaCe said:
but im really worried about Australia's future cause its not looking great after the likes of Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne, Kaspa, Martyn, Ponting (although only 31), etc...
We have plenty of youngsters who are just waiting to be bled into the international arena, its just a case of finding the balance, and having the balls to bleed them in for these underperforming veterans.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
AsyLum said:
We have plenty of youngsters who are just waiting to be bled into the international arena, its just a case of finding the balance, and having the balls to bleed them in for these underperforming veterans.
Yeah i know

woohoo Australia!!!!

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Bookie said:
I go to sleep with the radio on. And I was happy that I woke when Punter got out. Great finish to a great match. Hope you're happy Aussie fans.
i go 2 sleep watching the match :p i wish there was more voilence

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Everyone is talking about how England's attack has been dominant. While I am, for the most part, in agreement with this assessment, allow me to shed light on an alternative hypothesis:

GD McGrath. 4 innings for 36 unbeaten runs in the series.

In conclusion... SUCK ON THAT, POMMIES!!! :D
I know I look like a pompous ass for quoting myself, but to add to this point:

http://content.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/story/216164.html

McGrath is now the highest scoring no. 11 batsman! :cool:

I love his words to the rest of the team...

"When I came off, I actually asked the boys what it's like to get out in this series," McGrath said.
Great stuff. In fact, he has made numerous comments on his batting prowess. I'll see if I can dig up some older ones...

EDIT

Here's another McGrath classic:

"Really, 54 is easy," McGrath said. "Once you get to the 60s things really get tough out there. I suppose if Jason [Gillespie] keeps working he might get there one day. As for me, a century is next and I see it as being well within my grasp."

Last edited:

richz

lol, pigeon is so cocky.. i like him :D. You shud have seen him, he quoted after the game "i wish we had another 10 overs, we could have got the runs." (something around those lines)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
the thing is selectors dont know what to do. they have a single 'old' unit. it is best to have older players and younger players mixed. when the older players retire, the younger ones take over the leadership and sculpt the new kids. but australia have gone for the short term benefits of fielding an experienced team, rather than get in some young blood.

they need some new players to get some experience among the likes of warne, mcgrath and co.

edit: LOL @ mcgrath's comments. :D

richz

yeah, but those experienced guys were inform, except hayden and dizzy. Why would u drop sumone in form???

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Hayden is showing signs of promise, getting a start, but is showing that he is starting to move his feet a bit more, and not play so late, but he still needs some work. I think him and Langer know it is now crunch time, and they will both before next test. If they don't, I would have to agree with some of the critics that they have had their time, and it is time for some new openers.

But I have faith :) They are both top notch batsmen.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
hayden and langer are one of the greatest opening pair of all time according to the record books. they are certainly the greatest aussie pair but im not sure if they are better than hobbs/sutcliffe or haynes/greenidge.

katich has been tested and has been found wanting. its time for mike hussey.

johnny_87

HSC
I think Kasper and Hussey have to come in for Dizzy and Katich. Hussey has scored a mountain of runs in domestic cricket both here and in England.

It should (in theory) bolster both the batting and the bowling.

Ponting is in great form, Clarke is in good form and was very unlucky to be out (to a great ball), and Hayden is looking like he's about to break the shackles and score a century. All we need is for a few batsmen to fire and we should win 3-1.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I wonder how it feels to be England and Vaughn..

I mean, you totally outclass them in the 2nd test, and you win by 2 runs.

You totally outclass them in the third, and you get a draw..

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Bookie said:
McGraths always been a hilarious fuck (when people aren't sledging his wife) - listen to him on 2KY every morning - hilarious character
haha i love it when McGrath comes on during 2ky at like 7:15 am, he's gold. He dropped a world exclusive on that program 2 days before the test match that he would play in the 3rd test.

Anyway, I agree with what everyone has said. Every team goes through a cycle, a bit like the bell curve theory. Look at the Windies, and England a few years ago during the Atherton days. It's time to give the openers some competition, to see if they still have the ability and hunger to lift and improve, if not it's time to throw in a few younger blokes. Totally agree with bringing in Hussey, he's done well in the one dayers. Also looks like Tait will come in for Gillespie despite Kasprowicz not doing much wrong.

rama_v

HSC
AsyLum said:
I wonder how it feels to be England and Vaughn..

I mean, you totally outclass them in the 2nd test, and you win by 2 runs.

You totally outclass them in the third, and you get a draw..
Yeah buy tyou have to remember that rain played a big part...I doubt the aussies could have held on if there were 5 full days of play, england would probably have batted until they had a 500 run lead and still had 1 and a half days to bowl australia out

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
Australia didnt lose the game so expect a similar if not the same squad for Trent Bridge. It would have been a different story if they had lost, with the media more likely to call for heads if the aussies were bowled out - seeing that there are now notions of 'our batsmen escape'.

Dont bet your house on any batting changes - but i'd put my quid on kasper to come in for dizzy. That is of course if Tait or gillespie don't get a bag of wickets in the next tour match. Gillespie will be bowling for his career in these matches. Flogging a dead horse?!

rama_v

HSC
Gillespie will be replaced by Macgill, kasper didnt bowl all that well at edgbaston and tait is inconsistent. Hayden will probbaly remain in the side though, but perhaps they should change the batting order and get gilly up the top with langer

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
poor gillespie...i feel bad for him...his gonna get cut after this series...poor guy...and my poor baby clarke...his back is really hurting him...he is hoping it won't affect his career...and so am i cause then i won't have a reason to watch the game...i hope he finds his back problem soon n gets better...and australia are so gonna win the nex two matches *fingers crossed* coz they rule...i can't belive england haven't won an ashes cup for almost 2decades...thats crazy talk...just proves how much they suck...haha

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
well they dont really suck anymore...they have great momentum right now...
i saw the daily telegraph and one would almost think that it was as if Australia had won...England should be getting more credit as well...

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Asquithian said:
Many batsmen stand out of their crease in order to nullify the swing. However when the guy is bowling 150kmph some Batsman perfer to stand back in the crease and give themselves as much time as possible to see the ball.
Can you blame them! lol. I wouldn't want to get any closer to a Brett Lee ball than i had to thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)