The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

Muz4PM

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

Qualifying for the Istanbul Grand Prix will be aired this evening on Ten at 11pm. So far in practice, Ferrari and McLaren have gone fastest, Surprised?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/5/7730.html

In other news, sorry for anyone who is a Super Aguri fan, but they have pulled out of the competition. I guess it was not a question of if but when, especially given the fact they could not get sponsors and they weren't scoring points, mainly because they were probably running Honda's B grade equpiment.

The question now I guess is, how long will Force India last?

Muz4PM

HSC

The grid for Istanbul sees Massa again win pole from the two McLaren challengers.

1. Massa (Ferrari)
2. Kovalainen (McLaren)
3. Hamilton (McLaren)
4. Raikkonen (Ferrari)
5. Kubica (BMW)
6. Webber (Red Bull)
7. Alonso (Renault)
8. Trulli (Toyota)
9. Heidfeld (BMW)
10. Coulthard (Red Bull)
11. Rosberg (Williams)
12. Barrichello (Honda)
13. Button (Honda)
14. Vettel (Torro Rosso)
15. Glock (Toyota)
16. Nakajima (Williams)
17. Piquet (Renault)
18. Bourdais (Torro Rosso)
19. Fisichella (Force India)
20. Sutil (Force India)

That's Massa's third poll in as many starts in Istanbul, a Grand Prix which has never been won from anywhere other than pole. Something curious is that Kovalainen is on soft tyres, but Hamilton on hard, something which he admitted was a mistake, so some people round her may be happy to hear that. Webber did well to qualify in sixth, although he was apparently angry after qualifying, so there may have been troubles with the car or he went light. However, quite a good recovery after the crash he was in. Ten will air the Grand Prix at 10.45 pm tomorrow.

el gwapo

HSC

Ha ha Lewis ahead of Kimi brilliant he's going to take some points off him. Kubica's engineer "You're racing Hamilton", BMW seems to think it's got more cojones that it actually has. That puncture ruined Heikki's race but it was great to see some frenetic overtaking.

I'm no big fan of Massa but an ego as big as his needs this race win.

The next two races are going to be Monaco and Montreal - two entirely different courses where Mclaren's gap to Ferrari will decrease even more.

Muz4PM

HSC

el gwapo said:
Ha ha Lewis ahead of Kimi brilliant he's going to take some points off him. Kubica's engineer "You're racing Hamilton", BMW seems to think it's got more cojones that it actually has. That puncture ruined Heikki's race but it was great to see some frenetic overtaking.

I'm no big fan of Massa but an ego as big as his needs this race win.

The next two races are going to be Monaco and Montreal - two entirely different courses where Mclaren's gap to Ferrari will decrease even more.
I must agree, I was a little ammused when Kubica's engineer said he was racing Hamilton. Just on that, is it me or have the BMW's appear to be alot slower than what they were in Melbourne and Sepang? I thought Heidfeld did well though.

Talking about speed, how about Kimi's overtaking of Alonso's Renault? I am not sure if Alonso gave up, but wow, didn't that Ferrari have some pace over the Renault? Hopefully Webber can continue to pick up points.

Was an excellent race by Kovalainen, I enjoyed watching the various scraps he was involved in, particularly his battle with Glock. I cannot wait for the next races, should be good.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Pity there's not that much overtaking all the time. They should stick the fastest qualifiers at the end of the grid. :lol:

Muz4PM

HSC

ledzeppelin said:
Anyone else find last night's commentary painful?
Not if you were interested on Hamilton's "bold, brave, genius, Senna-esque" driving stratergy.

In short. Yes.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

If it were "bold, brave and Senna-esque", he would have won. It wasn't even Hamilton's strategy, but rather one picked out by his team strategist. I want to watch F1, not Lewis Hamilton's life story.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Oh, but Hamilton is the best F1 driver to ever grace this Earth! Which is exactly why Bridgestone told him and Ron to go on a 3 stop strategy so he wouldn't wear his tyres down to the rim again ... :rolleyes:

Loved the new thermal imaging when Rosberg pitted ... too bad we got an ear full of "I want to see Lewis ... we need to see Lewis!"

Muz4PM

HSC

Cape said:
Loved the new thermal imaging when Rosberg pitted ... too bad we got an ear full of "I want to see Lewis ... we need to see Lewis!"
Yeah, that was pretty awesome, I also like looking at the G-Froces. Mind you, about Hamilton, did you hear at the end of the race, one of the commentators said that Massa was the best driver of the race.
:jaw:

el gwapo

HSC

I don't know how long you've been watching F1, but as long as you're English-speaking you probably would've heard the voices of Allen and Brundle every fortnight. I'm not defending their overtly pro-Hamilton bias, before that was the Button bias, then before the Coulthard bias. But rather English than Belgian French or German, both of which I couldn't completely comprehend and had an obvious Schumacher bias.

Of course you could put it in mute, but that's like a hamburger without the beef.

Anyway, 4 straight Ferrari wins - yet Hamilton is only 7 points behind Raikkonen, and one of those races he didn't get in the points.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

How come channel 10 doesn't just commentate the whole race themselves?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

James Allen and Martin Brundle > the 2 useless knobs that host F1 now on channel 10. They are clueless and "pretend" that what they are showing us is live, when infact, 99.999999% of the time the race has already finished.

Bring back Murray Walker!
Although, change of broadcasters next season, hopefully the BBC doesn't have someone who is about to pee himself in excitement whenever Lewis turns the corner...

Apparently the "Senna" comments during Turkey was James being is usual mumbled up self ... Lewis's yellow helmet reminds him of Senna ... but the 3 stop strategy reminded James of Schumacher's 4 stop strategy at France 2004. Dunno how he managed to get so confused.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Cape said:
James Allen and Martin Brundle > the 2 useless knobs that host F1 now on channel 10. They are clueless and "pretend" that what they are showing us is live, when infact, 99.999999% of the time the race has already finished.

Bring back Murray Walker!
Although, change of broadcasters next season, hopefully the BBC doesn't have someone who is about to pee himself in excitement whenever Lewis turns the corner...

Apparently the "Senna" comments during Turkey was James being is usual mumbled up self ... Lewis's yellow helmet reminds him of Senna ... but the 3 stop strategy reminded James of Schumacher's 4 stop strategy at France 2004. Dunno how he managed to get so confused.
Brundle's not that bad. I mean, at least he's been in cockpit of an F1 car before, even if he's best-known for crashing out on the first lap at Albert Park a decade a go. However, the Alonso-brakechecked-Hamilton incident is all but unforgiveable; he's the lesser of two evils.

Notice how well Hamilton is doing for himself since Alonso departed and he hasn't been able to copy setups?

el gwapo

HSC

ledzeppelin said:
as cape mentioned, that would be even worse
bloody hell. yes yes it would so much worse. I don't think getting a V8 Supercar driver (Cam McConville) or a V8 commentator (Crompton) was ever a good idea.

I'm not the biggest fan of Allen and Brundle - but to their defense their main audience, the British F1 audience would want to see how Hamilton, a real title contender would be going. If I were British, I would not give a fuck how Bourdais or Glock was going. Furthermore whenever the telecast is thrown back to the Australian studio they quickly inform their audience how their compatriot Mark Webber is going.

Not entirely sure how us in Australia will be affected by the switch from ITV to BBC. Murray Walker is 84 - I would not want to be working 20 races a year around the world if I were his age, although doing a weekened of commentating in Australia isn't such a bad gig, though only once a year.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

The British commentators seem to comment on Webber a fair bit imo. A lot more than what I would have expected.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Nebuchanezzar said:
The British commentators seem to comment on Webber a fair bit imo. A lot more than what I would have expected.
Australia was settled by England, so England own Webber by proxy.

Also, he's the unluckiest man on the grid. That always warrants a mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)