The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

ehh, i like the current system and don't see any reaosn for change - the reason that bernie's promoting (that it will prevent situations like this year @ brazil, where hamilton could win from 6th) is completely moronic. those situations could still occur, easily, and that's hardly a bad thing at all. also, don't teams get funding depending on the points they score? is this limited only to the drivers championship or something?

a rare situation where the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' saying remains very, very true.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

more importantly honda!

people will have to start taking mosley seriously. he's got the right idea.

Nasonex

HSC
N/A

Surely it cant be game over for Jenson Button?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
people will have to start taking mosley seriously. he's got the right idea.
What like? Changing the rules so many times in the past few years that it has actually increased costs. Lets see, 2005 we had to design cars that were capable of looking after 1 set of tyres for the whole race, then it got changed in 2006, only for 2007 for all teams to change their cars to be suited to bridgestone tyres. Then lets go onto the engines. From as many V10's engines as you like in a weekend, to a whole new concept of V8's ... from 1 engine a weekend, through to 1 engine for 2 weekends and soon to be 3 weekends for 1 engine. Oh, and what about the comical KERS of which teams have spent millions of dollars on, which you don't even have to use in 2009 just because Mosley wants a "green" image associated with F1, a system in which Toyota and Honda knew extensively about? Then theres gearbox changes, qualifying changes, aerodynamic changes, etc etc etc...

Him and Bernie in their greed are now causing the downfall of F1, as demonstrated from the withdrawal of Honda. And I suspect you'll see other teams follow, lets remember that STR is on the market for sale as well. Thats 2 Formula One teams up for sale, there is not going to be much of a grid come Melbourne in just over 100 days. Would not be surprised to see Toyota and Renault out of F1 by 2010.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Cape, whatever Mosley has done or said in the past is now irrelevant. He is now saying that costs in F1 need to be reduced, and he is spot on. But there are a few things I disagree with...

Then lets go onto the engines. From as many V10's engines as you like in a weekend, to a whole new concept of V8's ... from 1 engine a weekend, through to 1 engine for 2 weekends and soon to be 3 weekends for 1 engine.
The idea behind implementing V8 engines was sound, as was the idea of making them last for longer. While the initial development costs of long-lasting engines would have been high, the long term benefits of reduced build costs have to be considered. V8's are naturally cheaper to run. Engines that last longer means less engines per season. Result for both = cheaper in the long run. Certainly less wasteful too.

Oh, and what about the comical KERS of which teams have spent millions of dollars on, which you don't even have to use in 2009 just because Mosley wants a "green" image associated with F1, a system in which Toyota and Honda knew extensively about?
Oh please. If there's no incentive for the big companies (Toyota, Honda, Renault) to stay there, then they leave. Having road relevant technologies in F1 not only gives the company experience in developing things for road cars, but it also gives them a good image. For instance, Mercedes-Benz with all their safety hooplah. This green thing is not a dream of Mosley's that he jerks off to for fun, this is a necessary and damn good idea for F1. KERS provides an incentive for big business to participate in F1. This is what's needed. People want green, companies want green, Formula One HAS to go green. The fact that Honda have pulled out shows that if there's no incentive then a company will leave. Honda was losing money, F1 currently offers no prospect of an upswing to their business, so they pulled out.

If F1 wants to survive the current economic crisis, the biggest one since the Great Depression I read somewhere, then it has to adapt and cut costs dramatically. All teams ought to be forced to use the Cosworth engine and drivetrain at least until it's viable not to. Engines and gearboxes should last as long as possible if this is the most economic decision (I'm guessing that it is, since it's going forth). Same goes for tires (although tires are dirt cheap compared to engine and chassis). Drivers ought to be paid a helluva lot less. I'd also imagine that it's expensive to travel overseas, so maybe more races should be held in Europe (bring back the likes of Imola, Brands-Hatch and whatever else)

Some big companies (probably Toyota and Renault) might leave but because the costs will be reduced, it seems likely that smaller teams or individuals could once again enter F1. The likes of Jordan would be able to return and keep F1 going.

I've only been watching for a year admittedly but even I can recognise that things are gonna have to change.

Get the fuck rid of Ecclestone too. The man is an idiot and a giant weight on the back of F1.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Nasonex said:
Surely it cant be game over for Jenson Button?
It's likely someone will buy up Honda. They've got a pretty good package - they're the only team to have a KERS unit just the way they want - they just need a sponsor. While Honda's Earth Dreams campaign was good and really rather original, they had no money coming in. They couldn't have predicted the economic turbulence, but that advertising strategy couldn't have done them any good. It's likely someone like Dave Richards and his Prodrive outfit - who was going to enter the championship this year, but couldn't because of the ban on customer chassis - will buy them up and make the grid in 2009.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Latest rumour: Dave Richards and a Prodrive-backed outfit (the people responsible for Subaru's WRC campaigns) are looking to buy Honda, who are not only willing to stay on as an engine supplier, but are actually offering the team for just one dollar. They're willing to pay for everything if prospective buyers can prove that the team can remain in the sport.

A Prodrive team isn't an altogether bad idea. Dave Richards hasn't just been an F1 team principle before, he actually ran Honda back when they were BAR. He knows the people, he knows how to run a team and he knows how to win in other championships. It's unlikely Shuei Nakamoto will be retained as the designer (though I use the term loosely; the man is an idiot and couldn't develop a car to be competitive in F3), and with Honda's excellent package - they're said to have the best KERS unit on the grid and are allegedly the only ones happy with what they have produced - a re-branded team could actually be very competitive next year. They may actually be able to build on their 2004-2006 successes, and just ignore 2007 and 2007 the way Highlander III ignored the events of Highlander II.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

I paid the final installment for my tickets about a month ago.

On the topic of Australian tickets, they aren't that expensive, infact, they are one of the few countries that have 4 full days of racing, and are one of the cheapest tickets too. And Mosley has nothing what so ever to do with ticketing prices :rolleyes: The Australian Grand Prix Corporation sets the prices depending on what Bernie charges.

ObjectsInSpace said:
It's likely someone will buy up Honda. They've got a pretty good package - they're the only team to have a KERS unit just the way they want - they just need a sponsor. While Honda's Earth Dreams campaign was good and really rather original, they had no money coming in. They couldn't have predicted the economic turbulence, but that advertising strategy couldn't have done them any good. It's likely someone like Dave Richards and his Prodrive outfit - who was going to enter the championship this year, but couldn't because of the ban on customer chassis - will buy them up and make the grid in 2009.
Who are you going to support if there's no Honda next year? The same team if someone buys them? Or the German wunderkid :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Can I tempt you over to the red team? And no, not Toyota!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Pfft, 'sif. Though I do have immense respect for Felipe Massa after his reaction on the podium in Interlagos and the way he sent his brother down to the Toyota garages with dozens of Ferrari shirts and the warning not to be seen leaving the circuit in Toyota livery.

But, no, I'm not corssing over. Haven't you ever heard of "better dead than red"?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

No such saying, I believe you twisted it ;)

But your more than welcome to jump the fence, I won't hold it against you, especially if Ferrari do sign Vettel in the future :)

HSC

the fun part of F1 is the part where all the cars are racing each other on the circuit. Why would you want to play how to manage a team? that's got to be the worst idea ever for a formula 1 game.

Anyways, i'll be going for Lewis Hamilton in the Mclaren again this year. Stuff the red team. The ferrari's got a faster car in most of the 08 season and they still lost. Why go for the losing team? Hekki on the other hand have really got to step up.

F2001

HSC

Suicide Warrior said:
the fun part of F1 is the part where all the cars are racing each other on the circuit. Why would you want to play how to manage a team? that's got to be the worst idea ever for a formula 1 game.

Anyways, i'll be going for Lewis Hamilton in the Mclaren again this year. Stuff the red team. The ferrari's got a faster car in most of the 08 season and they still lost. Why go for the losing team? Hekki on the other hand have really got to step up.
lol, and how many dnfs/mistakes did the team/driver make.

Happens all the time, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, just to name championships influenced by who popped rather than what team/driver was faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)