The Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread (1 Viewer)

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
Unfortunately I thought it was a clear red. Almost every professional ref would have given that. He moved his body towards the ball and his outstretched hand ended up "denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity" by means of a foul. (You can't tell me that wouldn't have been a handball anywhere else on the pitch)

The sad thing was our national coach's severe misunderstanding of the rules. Arguing that Kewell's handball was of similar ilk to the Serbia handballs is ridiculous. As is saying a yellow would have sufficed. There is absolutely no way under the rules of the game that the ref could have given a penalty and only a yellow.

As for the tackle Bresciano copped, that looked like a fairly clear red to me too, considering Cahill saw red for much less.

twistedrebel

HSC
Unfortunately I thought it was a clear red. Almost every professional ref would have given that. He moved his body towards the ball and his outstretched hand ended up "denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity" by means of a foul. (You can't tell me that wouldn't have been a handball anywhere else on the pitch)

The sad thing was our national coach's severe misunderstanding of the rules. Arguing that Kewell's handball was of similar ilk to the Serbia handballs is ridiculous. As is saying a yellow would have sufficed. There is absolutely no way under the rules of the game that the ref could have given a penalty and only a yellow.

As for the tackle Bresciano copped, that looked like a fairly clear red to me too, considering Cahill saw red for much less.
the coach needs to say that. If he said it was a red, I can already see the australian media going intoa frenzy over it, and how he is a shit coach etc. Also note 98% of the australian population watch soccer every 4 years so they dont know much,
Ghana player should have been red, fifa has rule, tackle from behind auto red.
Fucking italians
Also saw my school teacher on TV lmao.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
why are you people still hoping australia will miraculously make it into the next round...

its not like any of you are die hard socceroos fans, coz there arnt any.

get over it, bandwagon argentina/brazil, celebrate
most of the people ITT probably think football was invented in 2005 :hammer:

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
Also note 98% of the australian population watch soccer every 4 years so they dont know much,
most of the people ITT probably think football was invented in 2005 :hammer:
So true.

Ghana player should have been red, fifa has rule, tackle from behind auto red.
They didn't really throw a blanket rule over everything from behind. They just advised refs to have low to no tolerance for challenges from behind.

Regardless, imo that would have been red in every league in the world.

Eva Braun

HSC
N/A
no its not tackle from behind its a dangerous tackle rule that entails carding.

shaon0

HSC
well as it stands.. ghana are on 4 pts with +1 goal diff.. germany 3 pts with +3 goal diff.. serbia 3 pts with 0 goal diff, and aus 1pt -3 goal diff.. so yeah say germany only beat ghana 1-0.. then australia would need to beat serbia 3-0 to be on equal goal difference..

wait.. so what happens if both teams are on same pts and same goal difference? is it a play-off?
idk, that's what i wanted to know.

ibbi00

HSC
wait.. so what happens if both teams are on same pts and same goal difference? is it a play-off?

I doubt this will happen. FIFA will make sure of that. If that was the case then they'd have to reschedule games, sell new tickets, reschedule tickets, etc.
Yea, not gonna happen.

shaon0

HSC
So true.

They didn't really throw a blanket rule over everything from behind. They just advised refs to have low to no tolerance for challenges from behind.

Regardless, imo that would have been red in every league in the world.
Tackle from behind with studs showind (if you don't get) is an instant red. Plus, the Ghanian player tackled with both feet, so it should've been a red.

onur91

HSC
N/A
If they end up on the same points and goal difference, certain factors would be assessed. Things like the performance of the teams, the behavious of the teams (fouls, booking, etc.) There won't be a play-off, no such thing in the World Cup.

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
If they end up on the same points and goal difference, certain factors would be assessed. Things like the performance of the teams, the behavious of the teams (fouls, booking, etc.) There won't be a play-off, no such thing in the World Cup.
Not true. They draw lots.

Code:
For the World Cup tournament, FIFA uses the following criteria to  rank teams in the Group Stage.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup#cite_note-2010_FIFA_World_Cup_South_Africa_-_Regulations-59"][60][/URL]

[LIST=1]
[*]greatest number of points in all group matches;
[*]goal difference in all group matches;
[*]greatest number of goals scored in all group matches;
[*]greatest number of points in matches between tied teams;
[*]goal difference in matches between tied teams;
[*]greatest number of goals scored in matches between tied teams;
[*]drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.
[/LIST]

Alkanes

HSC
it was cahill and now its kewell, funny isnt it? and the ref just had to be an italian lol..

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
paraguay looking solid thus far

fuck hamsik has been disappointing... im not sure what to think of all the big money premier league rumours surrounding him.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
You can't call handball in that situation and not give a red card. Either it was handball + red + penalty, or no handball + no red + no penalty.

"If a player deliberately handles the ball to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity (e.g., to prevent a breakaway or to deliberately stop a shot), a red card should be given and the player "sent off". However, a hand ball foul should not be called if: (1) a player is instinctively trying to protect himself from injury or (2) the player did not deliberately touch the ball but the ball hit his arm & he did not move the arm toward the ball (however, if the player's arms were in an unnatural position such as above his shoulders or sticking out to the sides, then he should be called for a handball)"

Edit: in this case "did not move the arm toward the ball" could be violated by as little as a 1mm movement. Could have gone either way.
+ 1

I guess it really boils down to whether the position of the arms and hands, in the circumstances, was natural.

One could argue that because the arms and hands were outstretched, they weren't in a natural position and so its a deliberate handball.

The flip side is that it is natural for a football player to extend its arm and hands out when the player goes for a chest block, and so the handball is not deliberate. But it seems that THAT argument does not stand because then you could use any kind of 'excuse' (subjectively) to say that your hands and arms were in a natural position, when (objectively), they aren't.

Basically speaking, if you attempted whatever technique (kick, header, chest block, tackle, chest) and you execute it poorly, then you potentially suffer the consequences of it. Kewell was simply at the wrong place (inside the penalty area, in an area where a striker could take an obvious goal scoring opportunity) at the wrong time. i.e. in the heat of the moment, he probably misjudged the trajectory of the ball, and coped the consequences.

I'm not saying that Harry Kewell is a poor player. Things like this happen to the best of us, so I do empathise with him.

A nice article to read: Harry Kewell's handball was a straight red card, says top Aussie referee | The Australian

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
NZ up 1-0 against Italy... fuck yes.

Edit: mlargcdhb

1-1 after penalty

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Trying to eat some pizza while watching the game, but it keeps falling on the ground.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Epic, totally epic. Seems NZ have more of a chance than we do :p

They also won me $$$ :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)