Why tears are wasted on HSC results (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, i missed out on medical science (88.00) with my 80.35, but i'm going to UTS, and i'm going to finish my degree, and when i do, i'll be the first person in my family to actually finish a degree.
And you know how i'll finish my degree? On medical science (Or another degree, if there's a more interesting one).
It ain't over till it's over.
And you're not dead, so it ain't over yet.
Medical research. Contribute to increased life expectancy :)

Sleek_BB

HSC
Yes. Basically. Doesn't mean you won't do well, lots of pretty stupid people make terrible amounts of money.
You really know how to make a person feel good about themselves lol. Whatever, done with this shit.

dajazza

HSC
The only people who say fuck the HSC are people who didn't try, did shit, and now try to validate their choice by saying there are other ways to get in. While true, those ways are way more tedious. Shouldn't have fucked around in school.
Fuck brotha, take it easy. Your making cunts like me feel bad lol. You sound asian... relax, play some WoW or LoL and enjoy your green tea while your parents and extended family present you with red envelopes. I'm asian and fucked up my ATAR by getting 65.

roryclifford

HSC
Yes. Basically. Doesn't mean you won't do well, lots of pretty stupid people make terrible amounts of money.
You have such a silly view on the importance of marks man, haven't changed at all since the last time I pointed it out.
People who don't do well in the HSC do not have to be "pretty stupid", and hey, maybe they wont go extremely well in life.

But I know a tonne of people 10 times smarter than me who also didn't get anywhere with their high marks and study-study balance. Theres more to it than just a mark, or just a personality. It requires both.

Just so you know, I got 98.6, so didnt bomb, just pointing out how ridiculous it is to judge a persons future on a number.

Good luck to all who read this, hope you get where you want to go.

katoji

HSC
You have such a silly view on the importance of marks man, haven't changed at all since the last time I pointed it out.
People who don't do well in the HSC do not have to be "pretty stupid", and hey, maybe they wont go extremely well in life.

But I know a tonne of people 10 times smarter than me who also didn't get anywhere with their high marks and study-study balance. Theres more to it than just a mark, or just a personality. It requires both.

Just so you know, I got 98.6, so didnt bomb, just pointing out how ridiculous it is to judge a persons future on a number.

Good luck to all who read this, hope you get where you want to go.
Thanks a lot :) I didn't get the ATAR I wanted at all...do you have any stories about these smart people you know of? Just so I can feel a little better about myself lol

roryclifford

HSC
Thanks a lot :) I didn't get the ATAR I wanted at all...do you have any stories about these smart people you know of? Just so I can feel a little better about myself lol
Haha no problem, just that they were so confident they had made it that they neglected establishing good habits at uni, didnt really take advantage of all the parts of uni that existed besides study and eventually, for one in particular, when it came to job interviews and real world experience he flunked and ended up without work for a year after his degree.

The point is, go in with the mindset that you can achieve anything, and you will achieve it. The best of luck to you :)

enoilgam

HSC
Plenty of people with great ATARs fizzle out in university, or do something that would not be considered "prestigious". A second cousin of mine got 97 or something, did law for a semester and dropped out. After that, she worked odd jobs until she settled on fashion design at TAFE. My SOR teacher got 95 in 2002 and ended up doing teaching after three years of law. He said he didnt like law and teaching was more for him. There are probably many other stories out there of people with great HSC marks who dont go on to have prestige or high earning careers - not that there is anything wrong with that.

But just remember, many people who do well in the HSC and high school, will go on to have successful and high earning jobs.

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
roryclifford knows what he's on about.

And frankly, HSC is not the be-all-and-end-all of everything.
These days you can do transfers into just about anything, so the road to your dreams isn't cut off entirely. Just...slightly detoured (Or maybe more than slightly, for some). But that all depends on your mindset. If you have a defeatist mindset like 'oh crap, i didn't get the mark i wanted, i'll just go and flip burgers for the rest of my life', well then you're destined to not go anywhere. But if you have an optimistic attitude to things, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep soldiering on, something will come up.
And sometimes, getting 99.95 and all those high marks isn't the best thing that can happen. For example, you're an absolute genius, but have absolutely no people skills whatsoever, regardless of how smart you are, you probably won't get that far, whereas a person who might have got a 79 might have excellent people skills and will get somewhere in life because they're a pleasant person to be around and can make conversation, talk to and get along with people easily.
Also, the introverted 99.95'er will most likely not last long in the bustling uni life, whereas the extroverted 79'er will thrive.
Speaking of extroversion and introversion, how many of you have done the Myers-Briggs personality test? It's a good way (But not ultimately determinate) of showing what your personality type would be suited to, in terms of career prospects and courses, etc.
Marks are not everything. Let me repeat that. MARKS ARE NOT EVERYTHING!!!
Deal with it.

Last edited:

krizbro

HSC
N/A
No one is saying HSC is life, but your sister could have saved 2-3 years by just doing well enough to get into uni from the get go. I am saying people shouldn't validate poor marks by saying other ways exist. They do, but they are all harder than getting straight in.
Yea that's true. They shouldn't think life is going to form a great future itself .. But the beauty of it all is that we live in Australia .. nevertheless you can get any occupation you want if you're willing to put up with the years .. the less work you put in, the more years you will waste, the less money you will accumlate , the more time you will delay on the luxuries of life and marriage/family etc ... all in all , just gotta be happy aye :] dont dwell in the past and recover from mistakes .. max human lifespan is 100 years dude .. if it were up to me i wouldnt care about HSC... im just studying to get money, achieve financial goals and just travel/party hard ..

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Although its certainly true the HSC isn't the absolute be-all and end-all of things, i still think its very important for determining an easy career path for you. Take for example a career in medicine/law/engineering which may require a high ATAR. There are definitely pathways other than the HSC, but the HSC is by far the most efficient way to get there.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of people on this forum are taking their HSC marks incredibly seriously, which is understandable given as we've just received them, however, it's value will turn out to be unimportant as time goes by. The HSC is by no means a test of how smart a person is - people can be smart but not very academic. For a lot of people, it's how dedicated you are and how much you can be spoon-fed by expensive tutors (a lot of people who get intense tutoring during HSC drop out of uni). Success in the HSC does not always translate to success in uni. My dad went to school in Queensland and got the equivalent of 80, went to QIT, studied law and he's now an SC. My cousin got an OP 1, studied medicine for 2 years, dropped out and is now studying primary teaching and actually enjoying it.

tictactom

HSC
i'd just like to say that what matters most of all in life are your "people skills"

notice that in the real world all of the top jobs are taken by caucasians? its not because they are the smartest (although they will be smart enough), its because they are generally more friendly and interact better than other races (ahem asians).

so just make sure you're a likable person and you'll be getting a promotion far quicker than that smarter but awkward person :)
+1

i 100% agree with this, though i won't agree with "ahem asians" being a socially awkward race, that's a tad stereotypical..

being approachable, genuine and friendly is an extremely important trait to have in life. of course, a positive work ethic is key too, but cmon think about it. the socially confident person is more likely to get the job over a reserved, shy guy. regardless of brains, you have to be able to communicate properly!

largarithmic

HSC
EDIT: you people keep bringing up tonnes of examples from families whatever doing mediocre things. I don't care if your dad got 69 and made law. Law is such a common degree. Let's just put it this way, the bankers and ceos who are earning more each year than you do in a life time didn't suck at school.
Australian culture is overly obsessed with success, and a particularly arbitrary and narrow definition of success. Does the HSC make it easier to 'succeed'? Yes, that is probably the case. But is the word 'succeed' there actually representative of anything particularly important? No, and that's the point of the SMH article: the journalist concludes that "if I'd gone as well as I'd hoped, I doubt the course of my life would have led me to the great job, friends and family I have eight years on". It's an attractive and highly illusory vision of what it means to succeed. And besides such a focus on how to succeed makes it much harder to learn something arguably far more important - how to fail.

Either way you should all watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

roryclifford

HSC
Australian culture is overly obsessed with success, and a particularly arbitrary and narrow definition of success. Does the HSC make it easier to 'succeed'? Yes, that is probably the case. But is the word 'succeed' there actually representative of anything particularly important? No, and that's the point of the SMH article: the journalist concludes that "if I'd gone as well as I'd hoped, I doubt the course of my life would have led me to the great job, friends and family I have eight years on". It's an attractive and highly illusory vision of what it means to succeed. And besides such a focus on how to succeed makes it much harder to learn something arguably far more important - how to fail.

Either way you should all watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g
I completely agree with this, but am beyond the point of further contributing to the forum so I wont.

On another topic, are you by any chance the "Large" that topped MX2?
Largarithmic seems too much of a coincidence haha

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
Asian culture is overly obsessed with success, and a particularly arbitrary and narrow definition of success. Does the HSC make it easier to 'succeed'? Yes, that is probably the case. But is the word 'succeed' there actually representative of anything particularly important? No, and that's the point of the SMH article: the journalist concludes that "if I'd gone as well as I'd hoped, I doubt the course of my life would have led me to the great job, friends and family I have eight years on". It's an attractive and highly illusory vision of what it means to succeed. And besides such a focus on how to succeed makes it much harder to learn something arguably far more important - how to fail.

*fixed

enoilgam

HSC

This post is true on so many levels. As a society, we far to easily equate academic success with success in life. Whilst academics can help lead a person to a successful and happy life it is not vital or essential.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
lol no

he's pretty swell in real life

he's better at life than you are and has better social skills than you
Yeah, because people who call other people "faggots" when they don't agree with them have amazing social skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)