Year 12 2012 Chit Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

barbernator

HSC
Got back 5 assessments today.

79% 2U Maths
75% 3U Maths

Failed that pretty hard. Teacher's probs gonna say 'don't do 4U', but I'm going to have a go anyway lol.

Got 20/20 for Critical Study/Module B Othello essay - ranked 1/140.
Got 69/70 for Legal Studies yearly - ranked 1/41.
Got 42/42 for Economics Test (assessment before yearly) - ranked =1/37.

Teacher's like "I want you to take my advice and not do it."

But I'm still doing 4U for 1 term - might drop it at the end of Term 4 this year. We'll see.
Ind, the teachers say don't do it because they want to conserve their b6 ratio. If you are picking subjects for ATAR purposes (are you? because otherwise my argument is invalid) then you should take it no matter what. I have faith that A) you are better than Shadowdude and B) you can just learn the easy stuff, scrape a pass and profit from the scaling.

oh and very well done on every assessment. 75% is not a bad mark at all, fuq da haters

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad

79% 2U Maths
75% 3U Maths

Failed that pretty hard. Teacher's probs gonna say 'don't do 4U', but I'm going to have a go anyway lol.

But I'm still doing 4U for 1 term - might drop it at the end of Term 4 this year. We'll see.
Asides from maffs, you're peaking hard dude. That's even greater than my peak. (srs)

btw, the essay question only told us to do one related and I ended up choosing Peter Skrzynecki's A Drive in the Country mainly because The Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock is a more popular text and would be marked more harshly I assume. Plus, I want to see if my own analysis is any good before the HSC assessments begin.

Even though I didn't end up using what I got from you, thanks anyways. Thanks heaps once again.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Ind, the teachers say don't do it because they want to conserve their b6 ratio. If you are picking subjects for ATAR purposes (are you? because otherwise my argument is invalid) then you should take it no matter what. I have faith that A) you are better than Shadowdude and B) you can just learn the easy stuff, scrape a pass and profit from the scaling.

oh and very well done on every assessment. 75% is not a bad mark at all, fuq da haters
Well I wanted to try 4U mainly because I can profit from the scaling and thus, it will improve my ATAR.

The reason for this is because I know that I haven't tried enough this year - e.g. not done homework regularly, started past papers 1 day before etc.

So if I can still scrape 75, then I think I can do decently well (like at least 85 HSC mark for 4U and 88 for 3U) by doing my homework regularly and past papers well beforehand.

bleakarcher

HSC

79% 2U Maths
75% 3U Maths

Fucking solid mate. Good job. With maths, just put more effort next year. No matter.

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I wanted to try 4U mainly because I can profit from the scaling and thus, it will improve my ATAR.

The reason for this is because I know that I haven't tried enough this year - e.g. not done homework regularly, started past papers 1 day before etc.

So if I can still scrape 75, then I think I can do decently well (like at least 85 HSC mark for 4U and 88 for 3U) by doing my homework regularly and past papers well beforehand.
Just make good use of your tutor.

If r0te learners can get E4s in 3U and 4U, I don't see why you can't do it as well.

And there's probs quite a few people in my school who gets much crappier marks in my school compared to you and want to do 4U.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Asides from maffs, you're peaking hard dude. That's even greater than my peak. (srs)

btw, the essay question only told us to do one related and I ended up choosing Peter Skrzynecki's A Drive in the Country mainly because The Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock is a more popular text and would be marked more harshly I assume. Plus, I want to see if my own analysis is any good before the HSC assessments begin.

Even though I didn't end up using what I got from you, thanks anyways. Thanks heaps once again.
No worries.

Thanks, and I hope you aced your yearly.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
And my school's making some pretty fucking stupid tasks for Yr 12 English Advanced too, they told us today. Rivalry, you're not alone.

First assessment is a listening task. And total assessment is worth 25% of internal mark fml.

We have to listen to an extract from our Belonging prescribed text, and have one paragraph on that + rest of essay, and then a short answers and creative section.

Third assessment is a viewing and representing task.

We watch an extract from Bladerunner and need to have 1 paragraph on that + rest of essay.

I have a feeling that those 2 paragraphs could bring down my HSC English mark by so much..

deswa1

HSC
We did similar tasks.

Belonging was unseen text for listening- so 15 marks of short answer based off the listening.
Mod A was a text extract from Frank and a visual stimulus from BR and we had an essay question for that- the idea was to use the stimuli as a springboard for our discussion so it had to be a major part of the essay.

Good luck though bro- looks like our schools are trying to crack down on people memorising essays etc that someone else might have written for them

theind1996

HSC
N/A
We did similar tasks.

Belonging was unseen text for listening- so 15 marks of short answer based off the listening.
Mod A was a text extract from Frank and a visual stimulus from BR and we had an essay question for that- the idea was to use the stimuli as a springboard for our discussion so it had to be a major part of the essay.

Good luck though bro- looks like our schools are trying to crack down on people memorising essays etc that someone else might have written for them
Hmm, seems like it, fortunately HSC's more standardised.

Schools like Baulko have very HSC like assessments.

Speeches are prepared.

Only 1 listening and viewing combined task - and that's for short answers only.

The rest is all rote learning goodness.

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
And my school's making some pretty fucking stupid tasks for Yr 12 English Advanced too, they told us today. Rivalry, you're not alone.

First assessment is a listening task. And total assessment is worth 25% of internal mark fml.

We have to listen to an extract from our Belonging prescribed text, and have one paragraph on that + rest of essay, and then a short answers and creative section.

Third assessment is a viewing and representing task.

We watch an extract from Bladerunner and need to have 1 paragraph on that + rest of essay.

I have a feeling that those 2 paragraphs could bring down my HSC English mark by so much..
We did similar tasks.

*sighs*

how can a not-so-talented English student even excel in these types of assessments?

damn Board of Studies and their complaints about memorising.

megaman64

HSC
I have 2 questions:
1. Do you have to apply for UNSW HSC Plus Bonus point scheme?
2. If you want to do a double degree e.g. commerce/engineering, both of them have difference subjects which you can get bonus points from e.g. commerce gives +2 points for band 5/6 maths while engineering only gives +1 for band 6 maths, I am wondering which one of these bonus point schemes will you get the points from.

deswa1

HSC
I have 2 questions:
1. Do you have to apply for UNSW HSC Plus Bonus point scheme?
2. If you want to do a double degree e.g. commerce/engineering, both of them have difference subjects which you can get bonus points from e.g. commerce gives +2 points for band 5/6 maths while engineering only gives +1 for band 6 maths, I am wondering which one of these bonus point schemes will you get the points from.
1. No- its automatic
2. You look at the specific double degree- for example for comm/eng, you can get points for maths and physics- the bonus points of its constituent degrees are irrelevant I think

deswa1

HSC
Few chem questions:

1. For the decarbonating soda water prac- why do we add salt?
2. Why does shaking a bottle of coke cause it to decarbonate faster?

HSC
Just got my 2U yearly back

Pretty happy overall, got ~99%

It was an easy test though, so a lot of people got full marks.

Lost half a mark for adding something wrong, and another half for a proof, oh well.

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad

Lost half a mark for adding something wrong, and another half for a proof, oh well.
Still beast.

But expected from you :p

My 2U test is tomorrow and I expect there to be questions that will throw me off. :/

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Remember my rule.

One mark lost = One .....

deswa1

HSC

Lol at pretty happy being 99%. Seriously congrats- that's a heaps good mark. And easy tests piss me off but dropping only one mark is heaps good.

Any other tests back yet?

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol at pretty happy being 99%. Seriously congrats- that's a heaps good mark. And easy tests piss me off but dropping only one mark is heaps good.

Any other tests back yet?
well, considering dat skool.... and dat ethnicity + gender....

yeah... :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)