Are all Korean guys chauvinist? (1 Viewer)

Garygaz

HSC
kpop is the worst music on the face of this world, even slightly worse than moslem prayer music

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
^
I just lol'd hard at this thread.

In regards to OP:

I'm a Korean Australian male and frankly I find the whole 'oppa' tag kinda burdensome and at times corny. Unless they're genuinely attractive ;)

You say every Korean guy you met is a chauvinist? Well you're just hanging with the wrong crowd.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
what the fuck is oppa
It was discussed a bit earlier in the thread.

... Oppa (오빠) is a term of address which strictly translates to "brother". It's used by girls when they address an older guyfriend or a brother, since the Korean Confucian culture strictly dictates deference to anyone older than you.

It's a simple enough concept, but in the past decade or so, the term has taken on a whole lot of extra connotations which are more or less sexual in nature.

You can see the popular K-pop group Super Junior milking the term here:

Super Junior Donghae & Eunhyuk_Oppa, Oppa_Music Video
[youtube]LloLMZlnLXQ[/youtube]

PS. As far as I am aware, the Super Junior song is pretty much ironic. That's why I can bear it. It's quite hilarious, actually.

But still.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
^
I just lol'd hard at this thread.

In regards to OP:

I'm a Korean Australian male and frankly I find the whole 'oppa' tag kinda burdensome and at times corny. Unless they're genuinely attractive ;)

You say every Korean guy you met is a chauvinist? Well you're just hanging with the wrong crowd.
Interesting. So if you were genuinely attracted to a girl, you would be pleased about her calling you oppa. But other than that you don't like the oppa thing.

This is exactly TF I'm talking about. Korean Australian guys as friends are fine. But as soon as they get half-interested, they want you to be their little sister. TF is that.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
im not reading the rest of the thread

what is oppa
I didn't ask you to read the rest of this thread, or any part of this thread, in fact. If you check my last reply, I just gave you the definition of oppa as well as a small amount of contextualisation. Here's the definition again in pure distilled form.

... Oppa (오빠) is a term of address which strictly translates to "brother". It's used by girls when they address an older guyfriend or a brother ...

HSC
well that shows that i only read your reply and not the quoted parts

korean culture is retarded

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting. So if you were genuinely attracted to a girl, you would be pleased about her calling you oppa. But other than that you don't like the oppa thing.

This is exactly TF I'm talking about. Korean Australian guys as friends are fine. But as soon as they get half-interested, they want you to be their little sister. TF is that.
That's the thing which creeps me out. As I'm not full Korean, I haven't had the full cultural experience but I grew up to learn that it was something a girl would say only to her elder brother. For this to morph into a word to refer to a boyfriend or otherwise is really odd.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
it's what SNSD will never call me

;_;
;__;

There, there; for every SNSD member (and, by-the-bye, also for every neurotically anti-oppa girl like me), there are yet another dozen beautiful fob girls who are ready to call just about any guy "oppa" at the drop of a hat.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
That's the thing which creeps me out. As I'm not full Korean, I haven't had the full cultural experience but I grew up to learn that it was something a girl would say only to her elder brother. For this to morph into a word to refer to a boyfriend or otherwise is really odd.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OzKo again."

F██.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Boyfriend, Older Brother and to older male friends/seniors. Really the ones that who say it to older males (friends or seniors) is just trying to act cute or grab attention.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Korean culture is defs. weird o_O... But i like it :)

But every culture has its up and downs...

Bendent

HSC
don't know or don't care. but i like their dressing style/sense

Last edited:

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
don't know or don't care. but i like their dressing style/sense
Hahaha I kinda sorta agree. On the whole, Korean guys make decent eye candy; but personally I'm not a fan of the overly metrosexual type. If anyone's, isn't it the girl's job to be high-maintenance?

Bendent

HSC
metrosecksual is ok if he looks 'manly', which is the best mix...shaves off a bit of gayness lol

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Am I a bad person if I'm on the look out for a pink polo shirt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)