Desperatly Worried - Should I change schools now? (1 Viewer)

Paradox.101

HSC
So I just got back from UTS open day, and its given me the motivation to study and take school seriously from now on.
I've decided on aiming at an ATAR of 85, to gain entry into an Information and Media major combined with International Studies.

The thing is, I used SAM for the first time, and my results are SIMPLY F**KING HORRIBLE, and I'm freaking out now. I picked horrid scaling subjects and that would ultimately f**k me up.

Here's a screenshot of my result, and what I believe as honest marks in the HSC.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2245/atar.jpg

2008 Modern History - 75
English (Advanced) - 88
General Mathematics - 80
2008 Business Studies - 70
Visual Arts - 80
Information Processes & Technology - 75
2008 Studies of Religion I - 30

TOTAL UAI 69.70

SERIOUSLY, BELOW 70?!?
I do not know what to do. I need to take action, and take action NOW.
I have previously tried to talk to our English coordinator, so I could switch a subject in favor of 2U Extension English, but she declined as we were too far into the course, so I doubt talking to anyone from my school would allow me to change subjects and as to why I picked such crappy subjects, it's because our school 'brain washed' into thinking that you should base your subjects on not scaling, but rather what you ENJOY and are capable of... F**K.

The only option for me, as far as I know, is to change schools. Although I do not want to change schools, leaving my friends and such.
Am I able to switch schools now, should I change schools, which school?
I just realised how urgent this is, and I'm in a load of SHIT and starting to stress. What should I do?!?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Er....scaling is not as important as what you enjoy and are capable of - your school has that correct. My school which is a Top 10 school tells us that.

Paradox.101

HSC
Yeah, but I'd much rather study:

English Advanced
Ext 2U English
Math General
Modern History
Ancient History
Economics

That should've been pick back in Year 10. I actually now WANT to change schools, I don't know what to do! It's killing me :burn::burn:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you change now you will have to catch up the Preliminary courses in the subjects you haven't done (or repeat Year 11).

Is that what you really want to do?

Paradox.101

HSC
Er....scaling is not as important as what you enjoy and are capable of - your school has that correct. My school which is a Top 10 school tells us that.
Kinda late isn't it?
Yeah, I know.
Entering my scores into the SAM calculator, with the subjects I want, noting my ability and I would achieve an 85+ UAI... Should I change schools? I'm contemplating Cranbrook, and will talk to my parents later tonight...

Paradox.101

HSC
If you change now you will have to catch up the Preliminary courses in the subjects you haven't done (or repeat Year 11).

Is that what you really want to do?
If that's what it takes to achieve my required ATAR, then yes.
But how does that exactly work?

SAM isn't meant for entering half yearly marks or trial marks.

You put your alligned HSC marks in. AFTER scaling. otherwise it's innacurate.

Don't waste your time with all this, just put your head down and study. people can get high UAIs or ATARs no matter what their subjects are. it all comes down to the individual.

If you're still shitting bricks, talk to your careers advisor/anyone who knows anything about UAI calculation.
I am 'shitting bricks' at the moment, so stupid of me - reality just set in today.
I entered my marks, as a 'hypothesis', based on how well I could do in my own experience.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
What? Repeating Yr 11? Go ask your teachers if you can repeat Yr 11. Simple.

Paradox.101

HSC
I'll give it a go, but I can't see the 69.70 UAI SAM presented me jumping up to an UAI of 85+ due to scaling, it's too good to be true

EDIT: It estimated a UAI of 80.05, and an 'Actual UAI' of 82. I'm not convinced tho, if what you're saying Nicola is true, I'd put my head down, and study my arse off from now until the trials... but I don't want to be getting Band 5's for my subjects to find out a received an ATAR of 70...

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'll give it a go, but I can't see the 69.70 UAI SAM presented me jumping up to an UAI of 85+ due to scaling, it's too good to be true

EDIT: It estimated a UAI of 80.05, and an 'Actual UAI' of 82. I'm not convinced tho, if what you're saying Nicola is true, I'd put my head down, and study my arse off from now until the trials... but I don't want to be getting Band 5's for my subjects to find out a received an ATAR of 70...
I assume that you know that raw marks are aligned upwards and that the lower the raw mark the more it will align upwards e.g. 16% to 50% isn't unreasonable. If 16 goes to 50 then all marks above 16 also have to go up by increasingly smaller margins e.g. 86 might go to 90 so a 4 mark increase whereas the 16 increases by 34 marks.

Looking at your original marks, except for the 88 which would go into the 90s the others would probably remain in the 80s or rise to the 80s.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If that's what it takes to achieve my required ATAR, then yes.
But how does that exactly work?
As you have to complete the Preliminary course in order to undertake the HSC course, if you change schools they probably wouldn't let you fast track a preliminary course because they don't know your ability so in order to do subjects that you haven't done in Year 11 you would have to do Year 11 for those subjects.

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
Would they allow you to change right now? Matey dw if you don't get the reuqired 85. UTS are very flexible in terms of allowing entry for their courses sometimes much less than what is public. EG I know for their engineering they accept people with UAIS as low as 70. Just try and best and dw about scaling too much. Also, just so you know with easier subjects with crappeir scaling such as IPT, it is much easier to obtain a band 6 in that than in Chemistry. You'll be fine matey. I wish you the best of luck my friend.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
As you have to complete the Preliminary course in order to undertake the HSC course, if you change schools they probably wouldn't let you fast track a preliminary course because they don't know your ability so in order to do subjects that you haven't done in Year 11 you would have to do Year 11 for those subjects.
+1

Unless you want to repeat year 11, you're going to have to grit your teeth and completely ace your current subjects.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Stop trying to blame a shit ATAR estimation on the scaling of your subjects, its your shit marks in those subjects that are pulling it down. Instead of trying to weasel your way around things by changing subjects/schools just do better in what you have now and your estimation will improve.

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
Stop trying to blame a shit ATAR estimation on the scaling of your subjects, its your shit marks in those subjects that are pulling it down. Instead of trying to weasel your way around things by changing subjects/schools just do better in what you have now and your estimation will improve.
Whoaaaa. PMS GIRLL STRESS LESS. Don't be soo harsh on your comments otherwise you'll give the poor OP a unnecessary heart attack.

Lukybear

HSC
This year truly really dosent count at all. If you want a higher UAI, get all 90s in your subjects next year. Without doubt, you will certainly get your wanted UAI.

pillar

HSC
getting 80 and 70 in gen maths and business studies isn't the best plan

duckcowhybrid

HSC
A lot of that engative scaling is due to your shit score in the subjects. There's a lot of room for improvement, and if you study a fuckton for all of them it's not impossible to see you getting 80+ in everything which should be above 85.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)