General maths. (1 Viewer)

Misyndo

HSC
Lots of people say that to me... my belief is that everyone should do Mathematics.
Then life would get so boring.
There wouldn't be any music, film, arts, entertainment and so on. (I'm not saying that just because everyone does maths means there won't be any of those things)

Just because someone doesn't do maths means they aren't intelligent at all.

You don't do music (assuming from signature). Does this mean you are unintelligent just because you don't do one subject?
You don't do any languages (again assuming from signature). Does this mean that you fail at grasping communication concepts in other forms and that you are unintelligent?

Of course not. Just because you don't do maths, it doesn't mean that you are unintelligent and that you're an idiot.

I personally can't imagine that "everyone" would need to be doing maths since it may not be necessary for them in the future.

Honestly, why would I need to use trigonometry (2u) in everyday life (given that you're not a sailor, architect, engineer etc). Nor would I need to use induction (3u) in everyday life either. Same could be said for the general topics of 4u maths.

However, that's just me, there are a small minority of people who actually need to be using 4u maths concepts in everyday life. But what I'm trying to say is that not everyone will be using such complicated maths in their everyday lives and thus, not everyone will need to do maths like you said as it will be pointless/uninteresting/complicated for them.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
If the government got their act together and fixed up the atrocious maths and non-existent primary school science syallbi then the subject known as General Maths wouldn't exist.
yeah fixing the HSC syallbi aswell, how is their perms and combs in general maths, but none in 2u, That is beyond weird.

I know alot find general maths ok, but fail when it comes to exams, i think its due the fact they dont put any effort towards their studies thus failing. Also these people in year 7-10 didnt really pay attention in class and their basic maths skills are flawed and unable to do 2u maths. (some of these guys where 5.3 students)

AJ92

HSC
Then life would get so boring.
There wouldn't be any music, film, arts, entertainment and so on. (I'm not saying that just because everyone does maths means there won't be any of those things)

Honestly, why would I need to use trigonometry (2u) in everyday life (given that you're not a sailor, architect, engineer etc). Nor would I need to use induction (3u) in everyday life either. Same could be said for the general topics of 4u maths.

However, that's just me, there are a small minority of people who actually need to be using 4u maths concepts in everyday life. But what I'm trying to say is that not everyone will be using such complicated maths in their everyday lives and thus, not everyone will need to do maths like you said as it will be pointless/uninteresting/complicated for them.
Well, first, music doesn't exist without mathematical principles, they are intrinsically linked and therefore your argument is pretty well void. Second, the same could be said of film.

4u concepts are certainly the most applicable to ones life out of the maths - general concepts involve statistics and taxes, but without complex numbers engineering would fall down, as would devices powered by electricity.

That said, I dont believe that everyone should do 4u, as it is far beyond what some people can reasonably understand. General, on the other hand, whilst perhaps not incredibly easy, should be a compulsory HSC subject, as maths itself teaches vital problem solving skills.

@Annabackwards - I totally agree that primary and even lower secondary maths and science syllabi leave much to be desired.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
What the fuck? You sound like an authoritarian idiot trying to force his love of maths to the world. People should be free to choose the level of maths they wish to study, that choice may not involve maths at all. I don't do any maths and I achieve far higher results all round than many of the 4U kids.
That's right, you don't do any maths. That's the way it should be. If you can't do 2U, don't do maths. You're better off doing something other than the joke known as General, and it's likely you'll receive far higher marks for avoiding that subject. CAPPED AT 91 = YOU CANT DO WELL IN IT. I know quite a few people who don't do maths and do extremely well. But they don't do general, which is the key here. I am of the opinion that anyone that chooses to do maths should do 2U minimum, otherwise no maths at all. General is just a joke. I mean come on, the course is basically common sense. Not doing maths doesn't mean you're stupid. Doing General and failing at it implies that. Why not just pick something other than maths? General concepts are only for dropkicks who have no fucking idea of real life shit. I went on a maths excursion last year where we used basic 2U concepts (there were a number of schools from various parts of the city) to work out shit and everyone seemed to be able to grasp it there. I didn't see any general concepts being used there. Because in all honesty, I would have been able to get ~60% in Year 6 on the general paper. It's not hard.

In addition, you excuse of bludging through Year 7-10 is invalid. You either work in Year 11 and understand concepts etc and end up being able to do maths (I bludged 7-10 and I'm doing 4U) or you just admit maths isn't for you and drop the shit. You don't need general maths in any uni course (bar accounting, and 2U is much much more useful there). Just don't do maths, stop this General bullshit.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
but you forget some people simply DONT LIKE maths. just like some people dont like history, science, pe or geograhy. Most people's results in a subject are the result of their willingness to put work in. While you can certainly argue that general and even mathematics is up to most people's abilities without the internal motivation to pay attention to the subject they will not suceed. Dont put down kids that dont do well mathematics or even just general maths, they just have different interests and prioroities than you.

Schoey93

HSC
Worth as a person, yes. Intelligence... I'll have to be convinced on that one.

The stuff in General Maths isn't very technically difficult, it's basically applying formula given on the sheet and maybe a few things to remember.

Academic wise, they probably aren't intelligent. But there are many types of intelligences. That girl who I know may not be the brightest bulb maths-wise, but if I have to match her in aesthetic intelligence (which if, I remember correctly, is body movement), I'm dead.
That's an unfair assumption to make. A person could struggle with General Mathematics but ace all their other subjects and be fluent in three languages. You don't have to be good at maths to be intelligent. But you probably already know that... I think that your example illustrates my point.

Aidybear

HSC
honestly, i teach my year 7 tutor student the same stuff as general maths. And even SHE gets it more than the kids in my year lol!
Ah i <3 being mathematically minded XD

speedofsound

HSC
Worth as a person, yes. Intelligence... I'll have to be convinced on that one.

The stuff in General Maths isn't very technically difficult, it's basically applying formula given on the sheet and maybe a few things to remember.

Academic wise, they probably aren't intelligent. But there are many types of intelligences. That girl who I know may not be the brightest bulb maths-wise, but if I have to match her in aesthetic intelligence (which if, I remember correctly, is body movement), I'm dead.
you have terrible opinions

lucinda808

HSC
hey everyone. i do general maths, even though i was in advanced maths in year 10 etc, and im loving it! im coming first, and its great for me because i know mathematics would be way to hard. all the mathematics kids always complain and stress out, but in general, the stuff is not to difficult, so its easy to go well.
i am a humanities student so i put my focus into those subjects more than maths. you cant call general maths kids idiots, because hey, i bet most extension 2 maths kids arent as good as english. its just they way the world works.
anyway, i love general maths! maths is actually fun!

Essjaybee

HSC
If you love math so much why don't you go do some 4u questions instead of bitching about a subject that doesn't affect you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm saying General Maths is a complete joke, and General Maths should be abolished - and a middle-ground subject introduced, with Mathematics --> Mathematics Advanced, and General Maths --> Mathematics. Mathematics would abolish those dumb year 7 things, and actually build on the maths learnt in year 10, instead of re-learning year 7 stuff.

Besides, lucinda - I hope you realised you made a very big mistake in picking General Maths. It's easy to go well because it's a joke of a subject, and if you are capable of Mathematics - you should do it, because if you want a good ATAR, there are better chances of it from doing Maths and not General Maths.

From what I've read here, General Maths is capped too - which means it's crap, a joke, and it's capped. Three reasons why it's a bad subject.

Also on those who've said I have terrible opinions - I call it how I see it. Smartest people in the year do both MX2 and EX2 with one exception who does Adv. English and 2u maths. All the bogans, and the other un-smart people do General and Standard.

speedofsound

HSC
I'm saying General Maths is a complete joke, and General Maths should be abolished - and a middle-ground subject introduced, with Mathematics --> Mathematics Advanced, and General Maths --> Mathematics. Mathematics would abolish those dumb year 7 things, and actually build on the maths learnt in year 10, instead of re-learning year 7 stuff.

Besides, lucinda - I hope you realised you made a very big mistake in picking General Maths. It's easy to go well because it's a joke of a subject, and if you are capable of Mathematics - you should do it, because if you want a good ATAR, there are better chances of it from doing Maths and not General Maths.

From what I've read here, General Maths is capped too - which means it's crap, a joke, and it's capped. Three reasons why it's a bad subject.

Also on those who've said I have terrible opinions - I call it how I see it. Smartest people in the year do both MX2 and EX2 with one exception who does Adv. English and 2u maths. All the bogans, and the other un-smart people do General and Standard.
i call it how i see it too, and you're such an unnecessarily patronizing person with an over-inflated sense of self-importance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)