WARNING to all students look for tutors. Most are greeedy, too expensive. (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
1. Duh, hence why they offer scholarships, and in Usyd's case, certain courses ONLY for these people.
2. Completely irrelevant to what i was saying. I never said such a correlation existed. I simply said that people earn scholarships and its not just "handed" to them for going to a private school.
3. What's your point? You won an award, good for you, it proves nothing about what we were talking about lol.
1. Do you know how many private school kids crash at uni?

2. High School results barely correlated with University results. I realise they only have high school results to judge people on, but it is not the most effective way to pick people for scholarships. I bet there are tons of people from public schools that didn't get 99+ATARS and are still get very good university results. See point 1.

3. Just proving that you don't need to be a private school kid or have lots of money to get into university and get good results.

imo, the amount of private school students that can get scholarships should be capped at like 50% of the available scholarships. I couldn't care less if they are the best people in the state. That is just on one silly little exam. It is just a contest about who crammed the most for the hsc. Also, there is an element of luck. Did your questions come up on the day? Were you felling really good on the day? etc

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
1. Do you know how many private school kids crash at uni?

2. High School results barely correlated with University results. I realise they only have high school results to judge people on, but it is not the most effective way to pick people for scholarships. I bet there are tons of people from public schools that didn't get 99+ATARS and are still get very good university results. See point 1.

3. Just proving that you don't need to be a private school kid or have lots of money to get into university and get good results.

imo, the amount of private school students that can get scholarships should be capped at like 50% of the available scholarships. I couldn't care less if they are the best people in the state. That is just on one silly little exam. It is just a contest about who crammed the most for the hsc. Also, there is an element of luck. Did your questions come up on the day? Were you felling really good on the day? etc
You dont even need to have gone to school to get a free uni + scholarship if you are Aboriginal.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You know there is a tutoring company called Talent 100 that only employs people with 100UAI/99.95ATAR. They charge like $60/hr to people. They love preying on people's insecurities. You would love them. All of the people that teach are no more than 4 years out of high school.
1. This is significantly exaggerated - they charge more around $30/hour. From what I've heard, it's around $3800/year which equates to $950 per term, $95 per lesson and hence, ~$30/hour - especially considering some terms are 11 weeks.
2. From what I've heard, they have very good service. If a student needs help, they can arrange an extra 3 hour class per week for free with the condition of 1 week prior notice and a maximum of 1 per week.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Only read part of OP:

Most tutors travel places to tutor. (e.g. I travel from Glen Alpine to Narellan, Minto, Mount Annan, etc.)

Most tutors on here charge ~$30/hr and lower their rates for more hours. (e.g. My students save $10 if they have a 2 hour session.)

Plus this money doesn't go that far because I have travel and uni. It pretty much pays for my week (If not less than a week) when I tutor.

Also, I'm pretty sure all tutors are driven for their students to do well, considering they can promote that they have a better record if their kids do well, and charge more/get more students, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, being just out of school means the tutors are more relatable and the students can text them for help and stuff, and they have the HSC fresh in their minds and no what the student feels like.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Only read part of OP:

Most tutors travel places to tutor. (e.g. I travel from Glen Alpine to Narellan, Minto, Mount Annan, etc.)

Most tutors on here charge ~$30/hr and lower their rates for more hours. (e.g. My students save $10 if they have a 2 hour session.)

Plus this money doesn't go that far because I have travel and uni. It pretty much pays for my week (If not less than a week) when I tutor.

Also, I'm pretty sure all tutors are driven for their students to do well, considering they can promote that they have a better record if their kids do well, and charge more/get more students, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Also, being just out of school means the tutors are more relatable and the students can text them for help and stuff, and they have the HSC fresh in their minds and no what the student feels like.
There is no way to know that. Think about it, anyone could say they have taught X students that got 90+, how are you going to know for sure? You cannot exactly ask for references from past students (people shouldn't be giving out everyone's phone numbers).

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone knows most tutors are in it for the money like teachers are only teachers for the holidays.

Peeik

HSC
Everyone knows most tutors are in it for the money like teachers are only teachers for the holidays.
That is an insult to my entire career. Passionate teachers don't do it for the holidays. In fact most teachers use those holidays to create lesson plans for the next term, marking assignments and preparing exams. Dont be so ignorant and assume we do it for the holidays.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no problem with tutors making money.

What I really hate is selling notes, I don't get why they don't just upload it here or somewhere else.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
This thread has been moved to a more appropriate place. Please refrain from insulting people otherwise this thread will be closed.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Spoken like a true ignoramus.

Agreed that some teachers are that way inclined, but to generalise an entire profession.. Hmmm..

I stayed up until 2am this morning revising my notes for my tutoring class today as there is very little info out there which explains semiconductors in enough detail. Passionate teachers know hard work. Passionate teachers really dont have 'holidays' as we are marking, providing feedback, working on our resources, adapting our programs for the new curriculum, making everything into one note workbooks, going into school to have holiday lessons with your senior classes.. the list goes on..

I dont even have weekends most of the time..

If I was a millionaire, I would tutor for free.

Also, my Tuesday class have their trials in a few weeks time, so I have been giving them extra tuition time for free. They are good kids who work hard and they deserve all the help they can get. Yes, some tutors would be like 'Gimmie extra $$$ for extra time', but some won't.

If they were knobs and I didnt like them then I would charge them a billionty dollars btw.

Last edited:

qwerty44

HSC
Spoken like a true ignoramus.

Agreed that some teachers are that way inclined, but to generalise an entire profession.. Hmmm..

I stayed up until 2am this morning revising my notes for my tutoring class today as there is very little info out there which explains semiconductors in enough detail. Passionate teachers know hard work. Passionate teachers really dont have 'holidays' as we are marking, providing feedback, working on our resources, adapting our programs for the new curriculum, making everything into one note workbooks, going into school to have holiday lessons with your senior classes.. the list goes on..

I dont even have weekends most of the time..

If I was a millionaire, I would tutor for free.

Also, my Tuesday class have their trials in a few weeks time, so I have been giving them extra tuition time for free. They are good kids who work hard and they deserve all the help they can get. Yes, some tutors would be like 'Gimmie extra $$$ for extra time', but some won't.

If they were knobs and I didnt like them then I would charge them a billionty dollars btw.
+1

^He has reasonable prices too.

myafanatic

HSC
How many consultations finished high school last year?
consultants*

And consultants offer their expertise on related fields. Tutors offer their expertise on the HSC. Who is better qualified than someone who just sat the HSC, did well and can communicate their methods clearly?

This thread baffles me; the presumption that tutors should tutor out of the goodness of their heart is ridiculous. Should all workers work for free?

Logic, people!

SayWut

HSC
I have a feeling this guy is a butt hurt tutor who is herpderping because other tutors are making more money than he is.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have a feeling this guy is a butt hurt tutor who is herpderping because other tutors are making more money than he is and have more students than zero, which is his current student count.
fixed

Tasteless

HSC
If you put in the numbers on the calculator, if some tutors are true to their words, undergrads from this forum are making at least $1, 500 in cold hard cash tutoring on weekends. At least $78, 000 per year and they are studying full-time. Think about it.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahaahahahahahajhahahah fuck me sideways

bladeys

HSC
N/A
This thread baffles me; the presumption that tutors should tutor out of the goodness of their heart is ridiculous. Should all workers work for free?

Logic, people!
+1 LOL, if this guy has a problem with tutors charging people money for their services, then no one should have to pay medical bills and doctors should earn nothing..

On behalf of everyone here at BOS, I apologise to Matty G. We are sorry (nah not really) no one wanted you as a tutor but build a damn bridge and get over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)